Thursday, March 26, 2009

Hinds Feet on High Places

My passion for the Shepherdess painting began back in 1996. My close girlfriend, Selina, and I went to a women's retreat put on by our church at a retreat center called Forest Home. It was a beautiful place nestled in the San Bernardino mountains. That year I had been asked to speak at one of the sessions. The theme for the retreat was "Hinds Feet on High Places" and our notebook had the Shepherdess painting printed on the front of it. I immediately fell in love with it! My topic for my message that I shared was "Children of Promise." I spoke about Sarah, Hannah and Ruth. They were all women that had waited on the Lord for a child of promise. At the time I was 36 and was still waiting for my beloved and the promise of a family. When I returned home from that retreat, I matted and framed the front of the notebook and I told myself that if I had a little girl that I would hang this picture in her nursery. It was special to me as it shows a young girl being very tender with a lamb and it's mother. It made me think of the Lord and how gentle and loving He is with us. I thought how beautiful that would be to have a daughter who had a heart for the Lord and loved people like He loves us. We are His flock and the sheep of His hand. Little did I know that it would be 10 years before I would hang that picture in my sweet little one's room. There it is today!
This theme of a young women and a lamb has continued in my home. Last Valentines Day I was in a Hallmark store in the mall looking for cards for Rich and Mary. There was a display of Willow Creek figurines. They were lovely. Down at the bottom, in the corner, was one of a young girl holding a lamb. Again, I fell in love with it! It cost a little bit more than I would usually pay for a decorative item, but I just had to have it. I thought it would be a wonderful Valentines Day gift for my little girl that she will learn to appreciate when she is older. So, I placed it on a high shelf in her room when I got back while she was napping. A few days later, she came running out of her room, pulling on my hand and saying, "dolly, dolly" and lead me to her room. Now she is a girl through and through and has quite a few dolls in her room. She stopped in front of her shelves and lifted her little hands up as high as she could and looked up the top shelf and said again, "dolly, dolly." That warmed my heart. I held her up to see it but I told her she could not play with it because it was special. She seemed to understand and did not get upset when I didn't give it to her to play with. A few weeks later, we rearranged the furniture in the living room and with the move we ended up leaving one wall empty. I thought, "Hey, a wall hanging would go so perfectly there." So, I looked online and I found a tapestry of the figurine that I had bought Mary. Again, I was delighted!! The wall hanging was entitled, "Peace on Earth." I ordered it and when it came, Rich hung it for me. I smile each time I gaze at it. It is like a small window into the future, where I see my Mary girl as a young woman with a tender and loving heart. She is embracing the Lamb, the Savior of her soul.




For more show and tell treasures and the storied behind them go to Kelli's blog.














20 comments:

Sue said...

Hii Elena,
This is such a beautiful story, I enjoyed reading every word and thinking what a beautiful spirit you have. The tapestry and figurine are beautiful also and of course that beautiful angel you have. Thank you for sharing.
Blessings,
Sue

momma said...

beautiful!

thanks for the comment on my blog - when i got my engagement ring, i was the only one around with a heart-shaped one, and still was, until. . . today, i get 2 comments from others with one. :)

Leah said...

I loved that post. Beautiful story and a beautiful gift for your daughter. :)

Susan said...

Lovely items. There is a wonderful book "Hinds Feet In High Places" written by Hannah Hurnard copy writed in 1977. I love this book and have read it 5 times. I know you would love it.
Susan

Anonymous said...

I loved it, Elena! Ben

Being Mrs Miles said...

Visiting from Kelli's Show and Tell!

Our own Pastor LOVES sheep - he raised them for several years. What a great collection you've begun. Truly enjoyed your story of the inspiration.

have you ever watched the SHAWN THE SHEEP video at youtube? You would LOVE THEM!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing...

Just A Gal...

Jadehollow said...

Hey Elena..
Thanks for sharing your beautiful story .. The piece is awesome .. I love all Willow Creek pieces.
Have a Blessed weekend.
Debbie

{Bellamere Cottage} said...

What a wonderful story.

Blessings,
Spencer

SmilingSally said...

I have a figurine of a young girl with a lamb; I posted about it a couple of weeks ago. Thanks for sharing. Happy Show and Tell Friday. Here’s mine:
http://smilingsally.blogspot.com/2009/03/show-and-tell-friday-apples.html

Hootin Anni said...

I've always wanted a Willow Tree, but never got one. Yours is wonderful.

My show n tell is all about my Easter Lily. Stop by if you get a chance.

Linda C said...

I just love those willow figurines. Our children have given me some over the years for mother's day:)

Your sweet story behind this girl holding the lamb is just precious, Elena! What a testimony of your faith and waiting on the Lord your life is to other women. I'm sure that lives have been touched by your story.

Little Mary will treasure this one day:)

Blessings my friend,
Hugs,
Linda C

Anonymous said...

So Sweet! Kristine

Julie said...

What a wonderful story...I love all your treasures!! Have a wonderful weekend...julie

Anonymous said...

Your daughter will be loving and caring because she has you to show her the way...your story and your Show & Tell items are so lovely.
Thank you so much for sharing them with us...

Blessings,
Susie

Heidi Pocketbook said...

What a beautiful story, and I enjoyed the photos to go along with it. Also know I'll be praying for direction for your dh's work.

Grace Acres said...

what a beautiful collection and with so much meaning.

FeeBeeKay said...

As always, dearest Elena, a gorgeous post. I only recently discovered 'Hinds Feet on High Places' - it was sent to me 2 weeks ago by a new, and rapidly becoming very dear friend. I have never heard of it or read it, but am touched, comforted and inspired by it already. So you can imagine my surprise to see it mentioned here too! Twice in two weeks having never known of it in a lifetime. His hand at work in my small life I think.

Such beautiful sentiments for Mary - and ones which I pray to the Lord I can honour for Amelie too.

Much love and prayers to you all for the coming week,

Fiona x

Anonymous said...

Thank you for sharing such a beautiful, touching story. Love, Enda

Margie said...

What a lovely post! I'm enjoying your blog very much, I'm glad you visited me, because yesterday I didn't have time to explore too much, and now I've taken the time to do so, and I'm glad I did!

Your little girl is adorable! I love lambs and collect pics and statues of them as well, because I love the thought of Jesus caring for us as a shepherd cares for his sheep.

hugs,
Margie :)