I went to Fred Meyer's yesterday to pick up a few grocery items to tide us over until Rich gets paid and I can do some serious shopping to stock our shelves. I just decided to peruse by the garden department. There in the back was quite a few lovely orchid plants. I have admired orchid plants many times but always kept from buying them because of the price combined with my lack of knowledge on growing them. But these orchids were only $10! Usually they are twice as much if not more. So, I took the plunge and bought one. It is a beautiful phalaenopsis orchid. I read up on the care of it. It likes humidity so I put it by our aquarium. Also we get a lot of bright indirect light there and that is what they like. I will need to set the pot down in water and let it soak for 5 minutes and then let it drain completely. I will need to do this whenever is shows signs of drying out. I am hoping I will be successful. The flowers are so majestic and elegant. We will see. If you have any tips on growing them please leave me a comment. Have a wonderful day!
11 comments:
Very pretty!
Hi Elena,
I too have not bought orchids, for the same reasons you haven't, but have wanted to try them. Your orchid is beautiful, and I hope you have great success in growing yours. My hairdresser has some in her shop and she says they are easy to grow.
Thank you for coming by and for leaving such a sweet comment. I am most happy to enter your name in my giveaway.
Blessings,
Sue
Elena,
How very wonderful. I hope you do better than I do with plants. The poor things in my hands are doomed.
Becky K.
it looks very elegant...
What a lovely orchid! I've never had one, have just admired them at the botanical gardens and such. I hope it thrives for you.
It's gorgeous! Isn't God so creative!!! I love the things He made for us!
xoxo Sharon
Hi Elena
That Orchid plant is beautiful and I bet a year from now it will look even better. Should I run across a book on orchid I will get it for you. I have seen them in the past.
Our Lowe's on a weekly basis put their half dead plants out for pennies. My neighbors buy a lot and doctor them back to health before transplanting.
Time for me to go to bed.
Love,
Enda
Beautiful Elena.
That was a terrific deal Elena! I received orchids as a gift many years ago but I'm afraid I wasn't very good with the care they needed. They are so pretty though!
{hugs}
Thats awesome.... whats funny is i have been thinking about buying an orchid for myself too! we have bought them for the in-laws, but never myself becuz of price and not really wanting to kill such a pretty delicate flower.
Wendy
sorry i haven't been by in a LONG time (thank you for your lovely comments on my blog)!!
what a gorgeous flower!!!
Post a Comment