Saturday, November 13, 2010

Shelly

My last post ended on a sad note but I forgot to add one thing. When I was going to buy baby fish food for the Angel fish fry, I decided to buy another snail for the tank. I had bought several snails but they all died. The pet store guy suggested I try a Japanese trap door snail. So I did. After the baby Angel fish fry died, my trap door snail had a baby and then over the next 9 days she gave birth to a baby a day, giving me 10 little nails. So, I got 11 snails for the price of one. Trap door snails are male and female and give live birth. Mary and I named her Shelly and she and her babies are doing well, keeping both tanks completely clean of algae and makes my job of keeping the aquariums clean so much easier! Here is a picture of the proud mama after giving birth to her first baby.


7 comments:

Becky K. said...

Awww...that is sweet. I love seeing a momma and baby together.

Sue said...

This is so cool Elena, I guess an old grandma can say cool!! You are teaching Mary so many wonderful things about life.
Thanks for sharing.
Much love,
Hugs, Sue

Leah said...

Awesome! What a great picture!


I am doing a book giveaway on my blog right now.

Heidi Pocketbook said...

I've never heard of a trap door snail--quite interesting! I hope that the snails have long and happy lives at your household :-)

I'm glad you have the patience for more than one aquarium--after multiple fish deaths, burials "at sea" and even releasing into the lake when they were hurting, I finally cried uncle and called it quits.

Hugs from Heidi

Leah said...

Elena - you won the book giveaway on my blog! If you go to my blog, you can get my email address and send me your mailing address so I can get the book out to you. :)

Have a great day!

Lois Christensen said...

I never heard of this type of snails. THanks for your comments on my daughter!

Linda C said...

Wow! Talk about a good deal!:)

I just realized that how slack I have been in visiting blog friends-- so sorry!!

I enjoy it so, but life stuff seems to take alot of time lately. So it goes...

Happy Thanksgiving!
Hugs,
Linda