I sat down and found this picture the other morning. What inspired my search for it was that my niece and her husband announced they were having a baby. She is three months along and the baby is due in November. This is a picture of my mom and my sister when she is pregnant with my niece in 1978. My mother was so excited because this was her first grandchild. I so enjoyed seeing this picture again. As you can see my mother is beaming and it is so cute that she has her hand on her tummy too. Mom loved being a mother and a grandmother. I remember when my sister and brother-in-law first told us, mom got out all her crocheting hooks and the sewing machine and went to work making so many lovely things for the baby. I was in my senior year of high school and still at home, so I joined in on making things too. It was all so very exciting. My sister had been married for 5 years and mom had been waiting and longing for this time of grandchildren. When my mom and dad got married mom was so excited to become a mother. My oldest sister was born 2 weeks before their first anniversary and mom had a whole chest of drawers full of lovely things made. This was long before the days of sonograms so mom was praying she would have a little girl because of the sweet frilly things she had made and had been given to her. So, my oldest sister was decked out in the most beautiful outfits and people at church would just love to come see what she had on. Now my dear mother is in heaven. She lived until my niece was 9 years old and my nephew was 2 years old. So she was only able to see, here on earth, 2 of her now 5 grandchildren. I feel in my heart that she has seen them all, including the little angels that have been miscarried or died as a baby in our family. Now the next generation has started. My nephew has a 13 year old step son and a 10 month old baby boy and now my niece is expecting. She will be finding out pretty soon whether she is having a boy or a girl. The newer sonograms are so much more accurate that they can tell earlier than before. From the time I have found out she was pregnant I have felt she that is carrying a little girl. I did have a dream almost 5 years ago of my niece showing me a house plan with one room designated as a nursery and is was colored pink. This little one is special for a special reason and I pray for my niece, her husband and the baby every day.

6 comments:
So cool to have a photograph of your sister pregnant with your niece, the niece who is now pregnant. Best wishes to your niece that the pregnancy will go well.
What a treasure for you...I so enjoyed reading your post, and happy for you that you have these great memories...I know how much they mean. Your sister is wearing a pretty crocheted top, did you Mother make that?
What a sweet post. Congratulations to your growing family!
Great post. I love the photo, I loved that your mom had her hand on her tummy. What a sweet family you have.
Blessings!
What a special picture and memories that you shared. I am sure your niece would be thrilled to hear the memories that you treasure. Be sure and keep your readers posted if the baby is a girl or boy.
So very sweet Elena. Can't wait to hear your niece's good news!!
I love looking at old photos, too. Reminiscing seems to help keep everything in the proper perspective, and sprinkles our days with tender joys!!
Have a delightful Memorial Weekend!
Hugs,
Becky
Post a Comment