Monday, June 3, 2013

Avocado Lovin'

For over ten years Rich and I have loved raising our avocado tree.  We call it Lazarus because it has lost all it's leaves and looked dead and came back to life.  It started out like these 2 in picture below.  We let the pits dry out after we take them out of the avocado and then we put them in water.  It takes quite a while for some of them to sprout roots.  These I think took a couple of months.  I realized when I was younger and trying to grow an avocado tree from a pit, that I gave up too soon.

 
 
Once we got it to sprout leaves and get established in the soil we cute it half way up the stem, removing all the leaves. Just a stob was left but that keeps the avocado tree from getting really tall and skinny. It was hard for me the first time. I chickened out and let Rich do it. But it paid off as it branched out and became this huge tree.  We keep it in a pot and every couple of years we take it out and trim off the roots and give it fresh soil.
 
 
 
I planted this little one and set it in front of the big guy.
 
 
 
Our Lazarus tree is looking a little stressed.  It always does when we trim the roots but in about 6 weeks it takes off and is really pretty.  We have not gotten avocados off of it but maybe some day.
 
 
 
We are thinking of letting the 2 starts in the window get leaves and get rooted well and then taking them and braiding them with this little one and see if  we can't make a braided trunk avocado.  I think it will be really fun to try!

3 comments:

Sue said...

Good morning Elena, I find this amazing, I have often wanted to try this, but like you gave up, I think I might give it another try. Mary is really growing so fast. and she is so pretty.
I enjoyed your Memorial Day Tribute video, and Music in my Mother's house was so precious. Seeing you and Rich dedicating Mary on your Mother's Day post was such a blessing, and I might add while following your blog, I feel, and see you and Rich have kept that promise to the Lord!
The photo of you and your Mom was beautiful,thanks for sharing your most blessed life.
I always leave so blessed, and encouraged.
Hugs,
Sue

Doll in the Looking Glass said...

Your avocado tree has such a lovely shape. You were rewarded for cutting the top so it would branch out. The braided avocado sounds interesting. Good luck with that experiment.

Debra

Miller Racing Family said...

Wow that is amazing. I had no clue how to grow avocados. I love the photo of the two tress. Hope you get some avocados!