My 2 1/2 year old daughter is in love. The object of her affection has been with her since birth. They are 2 identical pink fuzzy blankets with pink and lavender flowers on them. When I was about 8 months pregnant with her, I received a $100 gift certificate for Kohls from a dear friend. I was very tired and had anemia so I really didn’t feel like going any where. My mother-in-law, Mel, went shopping for me. I had a list of things I needed for the baby. Mary was due at the end of October, so I knew I needed some warm blankets for her. Mel came back with all my things I needed and the pink fuzzy blankets were part of the package. After Mary was born she struggled with colic and was a very light sleeper. That is when her love affair with her blankets began. I would lay her on one of those blankets and she would fall fast asleep. They were her "mommy", when Mommy was too weary and desperately needed sleep too. Her attachment continued to grow. Just before her 1st birthday, my mother-in-law thought it would be a good idea to see if she could find another identical blanket in case the ones she had, wore out. She had no luck. She bought some really soft nice ones, but Mary didn’t take to them. I even looked on line with no success. Now that Mary is older these blankets have taken on personalities in her little mind. She calls them “blankerettes” and she wads them up in little piles and talks to them. She says that blankerettes make a special sound. It is “ Eeee, Eeee!” She tells them how cute and smart they are, imitating what we say to her. Oh, let it never be that both blankets are dirty at the same time. I made the mistake of trying to sneak them both in to the washing machine. She was very distraught and every change in the cycle of the machine would bring a brightened look on her face and hope that she would have her precious blankerettes to play with. When I told her that they had to go into the dryer, she let out wails of dismay. Large tears ran down her face. No other blanket would do! So, now I wash one at a time and she is happy. The only time she is happy to part with her blanket is when she goes to Sunday School. She loves going to church and her little mind is so excited and happy to be with the other kids, that she is content without her blanket. I just think that is amazing! She made me laugh the other day. She was in our bedroom and had both of her blankets wadded up on the bed. She was looking at my night stand and talking about this “baby blankerette”. At first I couldn’t figure it out. But when I did, it made me laugh so hard. She was looking at a picture I have of her being held by my husband. She is also holding her blanket. She was saying, “Oh, there is baby blankerette. It is so cute! There is Daddy, Mary and baby blankerette.” So she was talking to her blankets and making over a picture of them, like we do sometimes with her! She is such a little character and we get so much joy out of seeing her grow! I have included the picture she was talking about that sits on my night stand.
For more Show and Tell stories go to Kelli's blog here.

15 comments:
what a lovely post.. super cute!.. I call relate to the story.. my siblings went tru the same habitlove affair as your daughter.. hehehe.. but theirs were pillow and raggedy ann doll
have a great weekend!
Can't beat those special 'bankies' [what my own little girl of 40 years used to call hers]
My Show n Tell is all about blue glass. Come join me if you can find time, I'd love your company! And, have a super Friday.
How sweet! Funny how kids get attached to things & then we get attached because they were...makes for keepsakes down the road!
So cute! Emily had a special blanket when she was little, too!
~Kelli
I love this post. It is amazing how they get so attached to things like this. Some of my 'grands' are the same about their bankies. I have mended some many many times. No matter how threadbare they become, they will not give them up.
Mama Bear
We had a stuffed animal called 'bed bear' as opposed to the one we carried around named 'car bear' that was identical, just not as beat up. We couldn't afford to lose 'bed bear' for fear of never having a happy child again! I should do a show and tell on that raggedy thing. He has holes, is missing most of his stuffing, etc.
How cute! My grandson Nick, has a special blanket too. He spent the night with me the other night and forgot to bring his blankie...Oh dear, needless to say it was a long night. Blessings, Annie
Really cute story and love the picture! Kristine
Sounds like my Lukey with his "mimi" ~ his little blue bunny. Oh, the tears when mimi had to be washed! My mom & I tried to find an identical one but didn't have any luck. We found one pretty similar but he knew and wasn't having anything to do with that new bunny. Anyway, what a cute story! It's wonderful that you're capturing these for posterity's sake!
How cute! What a sweet daughter you have.
What a sweet story! Our little ones do get attached to their blankets. Both my daughters had blankets when they were young also, that they always slept with. They are now both in their 20's. (I think they still have the blankets tucked away in a drawer.) :o)
I love these stories about Mary:) This is so sweet. I've heard several stories about attachments to blankets. Little Sam dropped his blanket and formed an attachment to a shoe last winter--carried it around and hugged it-- you just never know...:)
Have a great weekend dear friend:)
Hugs,
Linda
What a wonderful story! Hopefully they won't be in tattered condition when she decides she can part with one of them so you can put it aside for her when she grows up.
She is such a wonderful additon to you and Rich's life. I know that you truly feel blessed. I still cannot get the videos but I truly enjoy the stories that you share about your lives. Thanks for putting me on your email list.
Love,
Enda
What a sweet Show and Tell and wonderful story to go with it.
Thanks for sharing.
Have a Blessed Saturday oh and thanks for visiting me too.
Smiles,
Sherry
What a great story and picture! :)
Post a Comment