Tuesday, October 6, 2009

This Little Light of Mine

Mary has been enjoying the scripture loaf I just bought and a new book. I keep the scripture loaf on the kitchen table and we read one scripture after lunch. Mary does very well repeating after me. I was just going to read it to her but she wants to say it too! I bought a new book for her called the Pumpkin Patch Parable. The first time I saw this book was about 14 years ago. I had purchased it for my niece and nephew, Maranna and Julian. My brother told me they really enjoyed it. So, I wanted to get it for Mary. She loves it. It is now her favorite book. She has me read it to her twice each night. It is a cute little story about a farmer who raises pumpkins and carves a face on one in the fall and places a light inside it. It is a parable of how God changes us and puts His joy and love in our hearts and we shine in a dark world. It is a great little book!


This is a great book and I would recommend it for all kids.

We are reading the first page.

You can see Mary's trusty blanket right beside the book!

The last page. A pumpkin shining in the dark world.

Last night after Mary's bedtime prayers, she told me that she loved God! That blessed my heart!






10 comments:

Becky K. said...

Elena,

That is just so wonderful. Training up our children in the things of the Lord is such a blessing.

I love that parable. I didn't know it came in the form of a book, but had read it online.

Becky K.

BECKY said...

Oh Elena! How very precious to hear Mary say she loves God! That is just what every parent longs to hear form their child. Praise God!

You delight my heart, sweet friend! And I so appreciate you sharing little Mary with us!

May your day be full of joyful blesings!!
Love,
Becky

FeeBeeKay said...

What an absolute darling Elena! That book looks wonderful, I must see if I can get it here for Amelie. This Little Light is one of our favourite hymns with her, and she also loves 'Running over' because she is learning to do the actions with it. It is so incredible to see these little ones growing up with such unquestioning and pure love and faith - and reading this post this evening has been a joy! Much love and prayers to you and all who you love Elena x x

Linda C said...

Oh, Elena, what a blessing to hear those words from your little one!:) And what a blessing for Mary to have two loving Christ-followers that you and your husband are!!

I love the idea of this book. I've never been a fan of "celebrating" Halloween, and kids are often scared of the jack o lantern faces, but this book puts a wonderful association with it for the children. Think I'll look for it for Sam:)

Thanks for sharing your heart and little Mary with us.
Have a great rest of the day!

Hugs,
Linda

Carol said...

My Grandma Minnie had a scripture loaf. Such a wonderful way to teach a child a new verse each day! I'm going to get that sweet little book for Ethan.

Blessings,
Carol

Sue said...

Hello Elena,
As always I am so blessed when I visit your home. The picture of your hand and Mary's hand holding the scripture together is priceless. I think it is awesome that she wants to repeat the verse after you, the Word is going into her spirit.
I love the book also, and will check it out for our youngest granddaughter.

Thank you so much for sharing your life with us. it is so refreshing to see parents who want to make lasting investment in the future of our children.
Blessings,
Sue

Anonymous said...

Hi Elena

I shall keep my eye out for this book. Mary is such a sweet child and so beautiful.

Love,
Enda

Anonymous said...

I forwarded this blog post to my sister-in-law. I think my great nephew (her grandson) would enjoy the scripture loaf and the book. My great nephew lives 2 hours away from me, so this is not something he and I could do together. His grandmother, though, lives near him.

Leah said...

I noticed that Liz Curtis Higgs is the author of that book. She is really a great author. I haven't seen her kids books before, but her books for women are awesome!

Have a great day! :)

Madison said...

Thanks Elena! I am sooo excited!