Friday, January 4, 2013

Beautiful Buns


My husband made some beautiful buns yesterday for lunch. We had salmon burgers and he made some wonderful refrigerator dough the night before. He had used the dough for cinnamon rolls for Christmas breakfast and now he was trying some different ways to use it. So he made the dough, refrigerated it over night and then rolled it out to 1/2 inch and cut it with a large biscuit cutter and then let them rise to double their size and bake.  (He also made the pea salad and I will share that on another post later)
 
The buns turned out so yummy.  So tender and fresh!  The best bun I have ever had for a sandwich.  Here is the recipe:
 
Overnight Rolls
Ingredients need to be room temperature
Combine:
2 1/2 teaspoons of granulated yeast
2 teaspoons of sugar
in a 1/4 cup of 85 to 100 degree water.
Permit these ingredients to stand until dissolved, about 10 minutes. 
Scald: 1 cup milk
Add and stir until melted
7 tablespoons vegetable shortening or butter
Cool. Combine and beat well:
7 tablespoons sugar
4 beaten eggs
1 teaspoon salt
Stir in the milk mixture and cool to 85*
stir in the yeast mixture and:
4 1/2 cups sifted all-purpose flour
Beat the dough about 5 minutes. Place in a foil-covered bowl in the refrigerator over night.
Spray pan with cooking sprayRoll dough out to 1/2" thickness and cute with a large biscuit cutter. Place rolls on cookie sheet. Let them rise in a warm place for 1/2 hour. Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven for 18 minutes or until golden brown.
 
I am linking with Foodie Friday you can go here for more wonderful recipes. 
 

5 comments:

Lois Christensen said...

They sound and LOOK delicious! Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday! Please come back on Sunday to VOTE!

Sue said...

OH! my, Elena, the bun looks like a store bought one, and I bet it taste so much better, and the pea salad too! Thanks for the recipe, Please tell Rich, a Great Job!!
Enjoy your weekend,
Hugs,
Sue

Unknown said...

These buns look awesome - your husband did a great job. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday.

Alil Country Sugar said...

I have never seen a more perfect bun. Your husband did a wonderful job. And I love pea salad. Thank you for sharing at Foodie Friends Friday.

Lynn said...

Oh those rolls look so good! That is actually on my "want to try" list this year, making hamburger buns. I have a friend who never buys them, always makes them, and she swears they are so much better than store-bought. Thanks for sharing your hubby's recipe :)