Saturday, October 11, 2014

Mamey Sapote Bread

Remember that wonderful Mamey Sapote fruit that our friend sent us that I talked about in the post before this one.  Well, Rich wanted to try to use some in a sweet bread.  So we did!
 

Ingredients
  • 2 & 1/2 cups flour (I use unbleached white, but you can use any wheat flour you like)
  • 2 teaspoons baking powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1 1/2 cup sugar (I like white, but you can use brown)
  • 1 cup full-fat sour cream (I love Daisy Sour Cream because it has no artificial ingredients)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 ripe mamey zapote (about 2 cups of ripe fruit, give or take) You can substitute with bananas
  • 3/4 cups of softened, salted butter (1 & 1/2 sticks) do not use margarine. Substitute with olive oil if needed
  • 2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
 

Directions
  • Preheat the oven to 350F
  • Blend the sour cream, eggs, butter, vanilla and zapote until smooth
  • Sift the flour and baking powder
  • Add the sugar and salt to the flour mixture
  • Stir in the zapote mixture to the flour until smooth
  • Butter and flour a large bread pan (or two smaller ones)
  • Pour the batter till it’s 3/4 of the way to the top
  • Bake for one hour, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out *mostly* clean (a few crumbs/wet marks are OK)
  • Let cool for 15 minutes on the counter before turning out of the pan
  • Serve with butter
  • Enjoy!


This is a great recipe.  The bread was wonderful.  Here is some of the bread with homemade apple butter on it.  It was good, but it even tasted better with real butter melted on it.  When I first tasted it, it had a chocolate flavor and when I served it to Mary with only telling her it was Mamey Sapote bread, she said after her first taste, "Wow, brownies!"  When we used the Mamey Sapote fruit in our sourdough pancakes, it didn't have that flavor, so I don't know if it will turn out that way for you when you make the bread, but it sure was a sweet surprise for us and we ate the 3 little loaves very quickly!

No comments: