Saturday, September 3, 2016

Rich's Birthday

I always bake Rich a chocolate cake for his birthday. This year I decided to make a cherry chocolate cake mix.  I used a Devil's Food cake mix, a can of cherry pie filling, chocolate chips, 3 eggs, 1/2 cup of water and a 1/2 cup of sourdough starter and a tsp of almond flavoring.  I used a bundt cake pan that Rich had gotten me a long time ago.  I had it tucked back in the cupboard and had forgotten about it.  It worked out so well for this recipe that I made up.  I baked it at 325 degrees for 55 minutes or until the toothpick comes out fairly clean.  It is a really rich cake so it is not going to come out real clean.
 
 
I dusted powdered sugar on the top and garnished it with fresh raspberries.

 
I also baked our weekly pizza
 
Mary had a blast blowing up balloons


She was so excited to give Dad his gifts.
We had the cake with cherry cordial ice cream.
 
 
This pic is a little out of focus but I was so pleased how the cherry filling and chocolate chips stayed in the center.  It was a very moist cake but not too heavy.  The sourdough starter really helps with giving a good lift to the cake.
 
We were so happy to celebrate Rich!  He is such a wonderful husband and dad and we are so thankful for all the Lord has given us.

No comments: