I was deeply impacted by a picture posted on the internet of some distant cousins of mine on my maternal grandmother's side. They lived in Portland and Grants Pass. The picture was a 4 generation picture, Great Grandfather, Grandfather, Father and Great Grand son. The thing that touched my heart so deeply was how the Great Grandfather, who was 94, was sitting beside his small and very cute little great grandson. The expression on his face as he looked down at his great grandson spoke a thousand words, it was filled with love and tenderness. This picture was taken the afternoon before the Great Grandfather of 94 had died. He wanted to go to church the next morning, but when his family went to wake him he was gone. What a precious picture! That is how the little ones are to the older people, they are a joy and a light in the evening time of their lives. I began to tear up as I thought that is how our daughter Mary is to my husband's parents. They were 78 and 82 when she was born and she was the light of their eyes. She brought them laughter and joy and so much love. Now they are 88 and 92 and Mary's grandfather's life is fading. He was diagnosed with terminal melanoma cancer in the spring. Thankfully he is still with us, but his cancer is progressing, so we don't know how long we have with him. Mary is not full grown yet and I know it is going to be a very hard thing for her to lose him but I am so thankful that this morning time of her life has been blessed, deepened and enriched by their evening.
No comments:
Post a Comment