Friday, November 7, 2008

The Wedding Dress

My wedding dress is very special to me as it reminds me of that wonderful day that I married my husband. I loved wearing it and feeling the wonderful emotions of joy knowing all my dreams had come true! There is a very interesting story on how and when it came into my possession. It begins in 1992 when I was living in Southern California and was taking a position of secretary at my church. I was replacing the current secretary because she was getting married. Shortly after I took the job, I attended her wedding. She asked me to help and one of my jobs was to fluff out her wedding dress train as she made her grand entrance to the church sanctuary. As I lifted up the train and watched it float to the ground and saw the light pick up the beautiful sequin and bead work on it, I fell in love with it. I stood there thinking, if I ever get married I would love to have a dress like that! Well... a few years passed and I received the sad news that this girl's marriage fell apart. To her surprise and sorrow her husband left her. We were in shock. She was living in Washington D.C. at the time. A few years after that in April of 1997, her mom called the church office and told me that her daughter wanted to sell her wedding dress. There was no hope of reconciliation with her husband and she needed some extra money. Her mother wanted me to advertise at the church that it was for sale. My heart took a jump. I asked how much is she selling it for. I knew she had paid over $1500 for it. Her mom said she wanted $600. I wanted that dress! On my lunch hour I went to her folks home and tried the dress on. It fit me perfectly, I fell in love with it and bought it! The only problem was that I was not engaged or even had any prospects of marriage! I took it home in its beautiful gold box and placed in the top of my closet. I took it out every once and awhile and dreamed about wearing it someday! Then I moved several times and even came into some financial hard times and heavily contemplated selling it to make some money. But, I just couldn't. Four years after purchasing it, my husband came into my life. During the year that we dated, I came to find out that the timing of my purchase of the dress was profound. My husband had been living in Las Vegas, Nevada and had a belief in God but was not commited to Him and for many years had a distant relationship with the Lord. In April of 1997 (the month I bought my wedding dress) He made a strong commitment to the Lord and became very active in our church. It was a huge crossroads in his life and it changed him so much! The night he proposed to me and we were standing on our favorite beach at sunset, I told him that I had my wedding dress and I bought it the month he moved to Oceanside! Isn't God good!

Show and TellFor more Show and Tell fun go to Kelli's blog here.

16 comments:

Linda C said...

Wow! A beautiful dress and a beautiful story! Thanks so much for sharing your story of love and God's timing in your lives:)
Linda C

Manuela@A Cultivated Nest said...

Great story - I guess it was meant to be. You looked beautiful in your dress!

Manuela

Ceekay-THINKIN of HOME said...

Love the story. How precious.

Anonymous said...

Great story! Wendy

Lady Katherine said...

what a lovely story, and I guess that what hope chest are for, I started mine at age 11, but not the dress as you!

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story...your daughter will enjoy listening...

Anonymous said...

Hi Elena

I remember Melvena telling me your story. I have always loved it. God works in mysterious ways does He not?
I hear that Mary is happy to have her playmate back.

Love,
Enda

Anonymous said...

And they lived happily ever after. I am misty!

Blessings,
Susie

Anonymous said...

Beautiful story, Elena. Thanks for visiting my blog. :) Brenna

Carrie said...

Great story about your lovely wedding dress.

Kathi said...

Elena, This is such a sweet and touching story. You look so lovely in your dress. God is indeed so good.

Kathi

Anonymous said...

It was already written in the stars........

Kelli said...

What a wonderful story and a beautiful dress!
~Kelli

Anonymous said...

Awesome story thanks for sharing!

Kristine

Tirz said...

This is a beautiful story and a beautiful dress!

Anonymous said...

Elena, Thank you for "hooking me up" with your blog address! I do so remember your beautiful wedding and dress! And I also remember thinking while you and Rich were dating: "why didn't I think of "hooking those 2 up" - you were so PERFECT for eachother, yet our GOD wanted to be the one, the ONLY ONE, to take credit for your answered prayer (as he always does.) XX OOO Claudia (from CCO days)