He shall cover you with His feathers,
And under His wings you shall take refuge. Psalms 91:4
Nine years ago, I was house sitting in Southern California. I was taking care of my pastor's house while he and his wife were on a trip to Israel. The evening I arrived I walked up to the house with my suitcase and keys and looked down and there on the front step was a baby bird. It only had a few feathers and its eyes were still closed. It had fallen out of its nest too soon! I looked up where it might of come from and at the top of a stone pillar that supported the porch roof I could see pieces of a nest. I quickly put my things in the house and went looking for a ladder to put the bird back. I found one, but it was out in their garage in the far corner. I did not have the ability to open the garage door. My pastor rebuilt old cars and he had some very valuable cars and tools in there. So, he had secured it very well for the time they would be gone. I very carefully edged between their cars and out through the house with this huge ladder. I just couldn't let this little bird die! I set up the ladder and scooped up the little bird and climbed up to the top of the porch pillar. When I got up there, I could see why that little thing fell out. The nest was pathetic, a few twigs swirled around on a flat stone surface. I thought this has to be the work of a mourning dove. Such sweet birds, with lonely calls, but they are just not very good nest makers! So, I couldn't leave the little thing there to fall again to his death. I climbed down the ladder, went in the house and found an empty pop tart box. I cut open the side, put some soft toilet paper in it and placed the little struggling bird in it and then placed it under a warm lamp. I finished unpacking my stuff and ate dinner. I worried about the bird and wondered how it was going to survive. I went to bed but I tossed and turned, still thinking of the poor little baby. I woke up before the dawn and I decided to put the bird back. My plan was to wind the twigs of the nest tighter and put them in the pop tart box and set that on top of the pillar. In my night gown, I had to make the trip again with the ladder as I had put it away. I placed the pop tart nest back on top of the pillar with the baby bird and an unhatched egg beside it. I sat inside looking out at the porch. The sun had just begun to peek up over the horizon. Low and behold, a mama mourning dove flew up to the top of the pillar. She walked around the pop tart box and then it looked almost like she shrugged her shoulders and jumped in the nest, bringing the little one under her wings and into her warm feathers! I was delighted. During the next 2 weeks she and her mate fed and cared for their little one and then he grew to the point where he flew out of the nest and they watched over him, until he could fly. I climbed back up to the nest and took it. The one egg did not hatch. So, I bought a shadow box and put the nest in it, with a fake baby bird and the empty egg. I have the picture of it below and I hang the shadow box in our guest bedroom. This experience reminds me of the faithfulness of the Lord and how He cares for us and will not abandon us.

15 comments:
Super story, and I like the idea for a guest room wall decoration too!
Wow! That is the sweetest story, with the best ending. I bet you were beyond thrilled that you were able to save that baby bird. :-)
What a beautiful and inspirational post. And your little girl is just adorable - like you I was blessed late in life with marriage, and last year, finally, a much wanted daughter. Life is indeed good, and we are watched over even when sometimes it seems we are alone.
FeeBeeKay
What a very sweet and inspiring story. I also got a message of "anyone" can be someone/something's angel.
Thank you for sharing and have a fantastic day!
What a precious story, and analogy on how God cares for us!
I also love, love, love your love story!! We have four daughters and so far one has waited on God, and been blessed with a godly man. Hopefully the others that are of age will see the light! Literally! And desire to follow Christ's plan. He is working through situations with them now, and it is such a blessing to see!
Thanks for your touching birdie story. I also really like your blog and am going to become a follower!
Blessings,
Becky
What a great story have a wonderful day! Kristine
What a fabulous story. God is good.
What a beautiful story and what a beautiful spirit to rescue that baby bird!
is this your story? it is great one.
This is such an inspirational story reminding us of God's watchcare over us. We can't even imagine or fathom how much He loves us:)
Thank you for sharing this little bird story and its lessons.
Have a wonderful weekend:)
Linda C
Lovely story, thanks for sharing and have a great weekend!
Victoria :o)
What a great reminder of God's love! Thanks for sharing it.
Elena, What a sweet person you are. I loved this story and it shows not only the faithfulness of our Lord, but the kinds in you because of Him. Hugs, Kathi
A few years after we moved here I had a similar experience. We always had birds nesting in our rose bushes off the patio. One year one of the babies fell out of the nest and with all the snakes we have around here I was afraid the baby would be gone by morning. Jim got a shoe box and placed the baby bird in it and put it in the garage overnight and then put it back during the daytime . He did this for 3 nights and finally said that was it. When I came home from the library at noon on the 4th day the baby was gone. I chose to believe that his parents came and moved him to a new safe place. It has been such an experience to watch the parent moving their young. Never would I have thought they would do this with a worm in the mouth......refusing to let the hungry have it until they were at the new destination or having the experience to watch them learning to fly. I just love it and know that I will miss it when I move to the city.
Love,
Enda
Wow! What a story! I'm glad the momma bird took care of her baby even after it was missing for a while! Birds are amazing, they all have such different ways. How anyone can say there is no God is beyond me.
I love the picture that you made as a reminder!
Have a lovely day!
Margie :)
Post a Comment