Monday, January 12, 2009

Ouch

I was busy in my Sunday morning routine, scurrying around getting ready for church. Service starts at 10:00 am and we like to get there early so we can check Mary into her class and find a seat on the end of the row so I can get up if I need to. By the time we eat my husband's wonderfully prepared breakfast of omelets and pancakes (yummmm) and I read my blogs and get Mary dressed, I am cramming the last few minutes in on combing my hair and putting on my make up! I was in the throws of this when my sweet little baby girl comes into our bathroom full of curiosity. She does not get free roaming rights in our bathroom, so when she does get to come in with me, she is looking everything over and talking to herself a mile a minute. My husband uses a water pic and it was sitting by the sink. I was busy putting the last few strokes of my eye shadow on when I heard a hum and a blast of water hit my cheek and then ricocheted onto the bathroom wall! I let out a wail of shock and frustration. My dear little one had looked at the blue knobs on daddy's water pic and decided to turn them. She was in just as much shock as I. I quickly grabbed the towel to dry off and said, "Oh, Mary!" She knew I was upset with her. I stopped and looked down and I saw her large blue grey eyes well up with tears. She said, "Ouch." I knew what she meant. I had hurt her feelings. I softened my tone immediately and told her that I loved her and I knew she didn't mean to do that. I continued on to explain to her that she is not to touch that. She understood and I gave her a kiss on her forehead. She is my little tender shoot growing up before me. I try to deal with her gently as the Lord deals with me. I love her honesty and even at this early age communicating her feelings. I pray that she will always be able to tell me her feelings and have an open and honest heart.
Do not let kindness and truth leave you; Bind them around your neck,
Write them on the tablet of your heart. Proverbs 3:3


8 comments:

Anonymous said...

What a little sweetheart. I can imagine her surprise when the water came out. Enda

Tirz said...

Elena, I love your heart ~ so tender! I love your blogs ~ heartfelt. Another sweet story from you. Mary is abundantly blessed with you as her Mother. God is good!

Linda C said...

What a sweet application to this scripture, Elena.

This is a lesson that the Lord has brought forward for me to remember many times this last year. Thank you for reminding me today.

I try to stop and think of the mercy and patience and love that the Lord shows me when I certainly don't deserve it. And how that needs to be my first response to others.

Great lesson!
Have a wonderful day:)

Linda C

BECKY said...

Aww...teachable moments start very early with our little ones, don't they? How awesome that she is able to be articulate at this age.
Children certainly are a joy. My youngest is 10 and oldest is 27. Savor her at this age!! It becomes just a memory all too fast!
Have a great week, Elena!!
Becky

Anonymous said...

this story cut my heart 'cause often I don't show this kind of mercy to my child when he makes a mess... oh, God forgive me...

Denise said...

That is awesome, Elena! You do have a precious, tenderhearted little one. And God is so faithful to teach us the timeless truths of His Word through those little ones in our care and in our everyday life!

Kathi said...

You are such a good mother Elena. I pray that the times I have been too harsh and sharp with my little ones that God will cover with His love. I did try to be gentle, but there were times when I was not. Have a great evening. Hugs, Kathi

Anonymous said...

Sweet story. Thanks for sharing!

Kristine