Friday, August 5, 2011

Blackberry Bramble

Our neighbors on the other side of our fence have a huge blackberry bramble in the back of their property.  In years past I have just had a few little bunches come over the fence that we just ate fresh when they ripened.  But, this year we have had a bumper crop come over the fence.  I think there were several things that caused it.  Our other neighbor sprayed all along his fence line to kill the vines near them, I pruned the big canes that came over the fence but did not spray it with any vegetation killer and we have had a super wet winter and summer.  Blackberries love water.  So, we have these huge berry bunches hanging over our fence.  Now, I can just stand in our yard and pick the berries without having to deal with all the thorny vines.  Pretty nice!  I made a blackberry cobbler with my first bowl full and the one that Mary is holding I froze and will freeze more to make jam later.  Mary wants to help me pick them so bad but she is just not tall enough, so she settles for holding the bowl for me as I pick.  She is such a sweet little helper!  Here are a couple pictures of our wonderful black berries:) 

8 comments:

Leah said...

Mary is so cute! Blackberries are yummy. I wouldn't have time to make a pie or jam, they would be in my mouth before we got back to the house. ;)

Carol said...

I love blackberry cobbler, reminds me of my grandma Ruby's blackberry patch.

Smiles,
Carol

Miller Racing Family said...

Oh, I can't show Trey this post as his loves blackberries. He loves to go down to my parents and eat and pick the blackberries. Then sometimes they have enough left from eating/picking they can have a big bowl of ice cream and blackberries.
Blessings!

Kathi said...

What a perfect way to get blackberries. Mary is such a sweet helper! The berries are beautiful. Kathi

Tirzah said...

I'm always a little envious when I see the photos of your beautiful and delicious fruits and vegetables! It's on my bucket list to learn to have a green thumb like you!

Linda C said...

mmmm Blackberries are my favorite!! And these look wonderful! What a blessing to have them come over your fence!!:)
Blackberry cobbler- makes me hungry for it.:)

Hope you are enjoying your summer! Ours has been hotter that normal with 90 degree days in July- but this week is wonderful -in the 70's--loving it!!

Hugs to my dear friend-
Linda

Anonymous said...

The blackberries look huge! I haven't had any blackberries this year. I used to pick them behind my house when I was little. We have four blueberry bushes in our back yard. We managed to pick several cups of blueberries before the weather turned hot and dry. I am still enjoying blueberry smoothies from the cups of blueberries that I froze!

Elizabeth-Plain and Simple said...

Mary is so precious and how lucky you are to have blackberries and not have to deal with the vines. We had a kind friend bring us a gallon a few weeks ago that were already washed and ready to eat...but I froze them for future cobblers.

Blessings,
Elizabeth