Wednesday, September 14, 2011

Weakness

I had a very unusual and scary thing happen to me a few weeks back.  It was in the evening when I was putting Mary to bed.  I had been experiencing a lot of tiredness and just chalked it up to taking care of the yards, Mary and our 4 month old puppy.  When I was reading Mary a book before bed, I experience a wave of exhaustion that drained all my strength.  I didn't finish the book and told Mary we would finish it tomorrow night.  I tucked her in and she went to sleep.  I went to the living room to tell Rich good night and he said I looked really pale.  I told him I didn't feel right and I needed to go to bed.  That was at 8:30 and he came to bed around 11.  I woke up when he got into bed, he said a few things and I felt like I was going to faint while laying in bed.  I became very frightened and my heart began to race and I felt like I was having a hard time breathing.  Rich called the paramedics because he thought I was having a heart attack.  When they got there most of what I was experiencing passed.  They checked my blood pressure and heart rate and it was normal.  I decided at that point that I didn't need to go to the hospital and they checked one more time and then left.  The next day I made an appointment with the doctor to be checked.  I had to wait for the weekend to pass.  I just rested most of the time and took it easy.  I did experience some weakness again, but not like the first time.  I was very frightened not knowing what was wrong.  In the night my mind went to the most dark thoughts of cancer, leukemia, heart problems and I began to cry out to God.  I knew that he had promised to take care of me and that Rich and I would raise Mary but my world was being shaken from these symptoms I was having.  Then in the darkness and a still, small voice came to me and said, "Elena, don't you know my voice?"  I said, "Yes, Lord, I know it as I have heard it when I was waiting for my husband and you gave the timing and I heard it when I was waiting for a baby and you gave me the timing and reassured me when I was pregnant with Mary that she was your work and would be healthy and serve you all her days."  Then he said so sweetly, you are going to be alright, this is not unto death and you will be fine."  Peace entered my heart and I fell asleep.  When I went to the doctor that next morning they took my blood pressure, did an EKG and also listened to my heart.  It was fine.  The doctor told me that I have a very strong heart.  The next day after I had fasted they drew my blood to test it.  That Friday I met with the doctor and found out I was anemic.  My blood sugar, cholesterol, thyroid and other things were all normal.  So, he said I need to eat an iron rich diet and take my vitamins.  I had stopped taking my multivitamins a while back.  I just go busy and forgot to take them.  He will check my blood in 6 weeks to see if the anemia is gone.  After my appointment I went to the store and bought spinach and chicken livers and we had them for dinner.  I have been eating an iron rich diet for the last 2 weeks and taking my vitamins and being more careful to get some rest during the day instead of running for one thing to the next.  I feel much better!  I am eating healthier, drinking more water and getting plenty of rest.  The Lord is good and is taking care of me and Rich and our sweet Mary girl!

8 comments:

BECKY said...

YAY Elena! So glad you heard God, and were calmed, and delighted that it isn't anything truly serious. I read several months ago that one of the best ways to get more iron is to cook in a cast iron skillet!! Couldn't hurt to cook as much as you could in there if you have one, and will probably help!!

God is sooo good to us, and doesn't want us to be afraid!

Love you!
Have a restful evening!
Becky

Carol said...

How scary indeed! So thrilled to hear you will be alright! God is good!

Smiles & Hugs,
Carol

~Sue~ said...

Thank you so much for sharing this Elena, My heart was so overwhelmed while reading , and listening to you give your testimony of God's faithfulness. We do serve an Awesome God, I was listening to a minister on the radio today, and he said Faith was believing that God would do exactly what He said he would do. God's promises are always true. I will be praying for continued strength and health My dear sweet friend.
Hugs,
sue

Sue said...

Dear Elena, I am apologizing for posting my comment on an account that I use to practice on. Please excuse me, sometimes I just forget, ... comes with age. ~smiling~
Sue

Miller Racing Family said...

What a powerful post. Isn't our God just amazing. What a testimony to God's wonderful timing and his strength to take care of His children. So thankful all the test came back good.
Blessings!

Anonymous said...

It sounds like God was giving you a wake-up call to take care of yourself! Please continue to take care of yourself!

JD/ Jill said...

Oh Elena! So Scary for you. So happy to hear it wasn't anything serious. Please take care, and thank you for posting this, You are reminding me to be more careful about taking my medicine. God Bless, and I hope you have a great weekend!

Kathi said...

Oh Elena, I'm so thankful to hear you are okay and they found the problem. I remember feeling that way when I was expecting Garrett at age 41. They put me on iron as well. It's the oddest feeling of helplessness and fear mingled. I also remember wanting to cry and wishing it was time for bed when I arose in the morning. Iron helped me so much. God bless you dear friend. Kathi