Friday, August 17, 2012

Blackberry Pie

The blackberries coming over our back yard fence are just huge! The warm and humid weather have made them ripen so beautifully. I picked a big bowl yesterday morning and decided to make a pie.
 

This is the pie.  I think it is the best pie I have ever made!  Wonderful flavor and nice and firm.

Here is the recipe:

5-6 cups blackberries
1 cup of sugar
2 teaspoons of lemon juice
1/2 teaspoon of ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon almond extract
1/4 cup of corn starch
1 box of 2 pre-made pie crusts

Place blackberries,sugar, lemon juice, cinnamon, almond extract and corn starch in a large bowl.  Gently fold the berries until the are well coated with sugar.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees.  Lay one unbaked crust in a pie plate.  Spoon the berry mixture into the pie shell.  I had a fancy pie crust cutter to make my top but you could just cut the pie crust into strips and make a lattice work top.  Press the top crust to the bottom crust at the edges to seal the pie. 

Bake the pie for 30 minutes at 400 degrees, then put a sheet of aluminum foil over the top to keep the edges and top of the crust from burning.  Reduce the heat to 350 degrees and bake for another 30 minutes, until crust has browned and filling is bubbly.

I am linking up with Walking on Sunshine blog for Foody Friday.  To go there and see many other fabulous recipes you can click here

6 comments:

Catherine said...

Dear Elena, This is a beautiful pie. It sounds like a heavenly summer dessert. I would love to have a slice of this while watching the sun set from my back-porch. It is a wonderful recipe for Foodie Friday! Blessings to you, Catherine

Unknown said...

I just bought some wild blackberries from the farmer's market... too lazy to pick them myself. Thanks for sharing on Foodie Friends Friday and remember to come and vote on Sunday.
http://marlys-thisandthat.blogspot.com

April said...

That top is beautiful! Did you do that by hand?! I must follow and learn your secrets! :)

~ April
Dimplesanddelights.blogspot.com

Miller Racing Family said...

Looks wonderful. Trey loves to pick blackberries at my parent's house. He prefers his with ice cream.
Hope you hada great weekend.

JD/ Jill said...

This not only sounds yummy...it also looks yummy. this is one of my husband's favorite pies.

Lynn said...

Your pie is absolutely gorgeous, Elena! We have also had a bumper crop of blackberries this year. My freezer is full of 'em :) I would love to be artistic enough to make a pie this pretty.