Wednesday, March 20, 2013

Australian Aborigane Dot Art

Mary and I have been having a lot of fun this year with art.  I want her to have a good old fashioned Kindergarten experience.  I know lately there has been a lot of emphasis on early reading and math but I don't want to rush Mary on this.  I realized that since we have been doing a lot of art, which she loves, it has strengthened her fine motor skills and her penmanship has improved greatly.  It helps her express herself before she actually gets to writing things down and it is whole lot of fun.  Today we learned about a new art technique.  I had seen it on Pinterest and went to the web site.  It was all about Australian Aborigine Dot Art.  There was a video of a woman of Aboriginal descent with a thick Australian accent giving the tutorial and Mary just loved it.  So I asked her what she would like to make.  Well, in her mind dots means spots, so she wanted to make a Cheetah. I had her draw the out line of a Cheetah and then fill it in with dots.  She chose yellow and black paint.  She made the dots with q-tips.  She had so much fun learning something new and making some thing she was really proud of. 

 
I love her tongue.  If you fix your tongue just right it helps with all the dot making.
 

 
Here is her finished painting.  I thought she did a great job.  She told me that she made the cheetah have 3 toes on the front paws and 4 toes on the back because that is how a cheetah is in real life.  I haven't checked that one out yet, but I sure thought it was cute. :)
 

6 comments:

Marlys @ Thisand That said...

Cute... Of course you have to have your tongue just in the right spot so everything works out.

Miller Racing Family said...

What a neat project. I like how it takes simple tools but made such a neat piece of artwork. Great Work!

JD/ Jill said...

How cute! I see another great creative artist in the future...
Thank you Elena for the nice comments on my blog...I so appreciate it...Hope you have a great day...Blessings, jill

Vee said...

Oh I have so enjoyed looking around here for a few moments this morning. I'm joining your Followers in hopes to find you again. What a wonderful testimony you have! And a beautiful little artist in the family.

Sue said...

OH! my what a beautiful piece of artwork, Tell Mary I have given her an A++. Elena I had to lol seeing Mary work with her tongue out, as I do the same thing, so many times while I am on the computer, DH will looks at me and say, "Michael Jordon is busy on the computer," it seems the basketball star would also have his tongue out while shooting, so Mary and I are in good company. lol
Enjoy your day.
Hugs,
Sue

Chenille Cottage said...

Hello, my sweet friend!
I love it when you share your days and the special times with little Mary. She is such a gift. Her artwork is wonderful and yes, I think she is learning some very important skills. My Mom was a school teacher and she always made learning fun for us.

Our new little grandson, Chandler, is destined for homeschooling. His Mommy was a homeschooler. Before baby was born my son was researching Christian HS programs that they plan on using with him when he is older.

Thank you for your dear comments. I am always so glad when you come for a visit. You are sweet sweet friend to me!
Happy Easter to you and your darling family.
Carolynn xoxo