Heart shaped food is so fun! Mary and Rich get such a kick out of it, as the days to Valentine's approach I love to make them heart shaped food. The other morning I made banana sourdough heart shaped pancakes.
Mary and I were reading in this book tonight. We were on the chapter where the Ingalls family have guests for Christmas dinner and we came across this paragraph...
"Mrs. Boast was great fun. She was interested in everything and eager to learn how Ma managed so well. When you haven't milk enough to have sour milk, however do you make such delicious biscuits, Laura? It was fun to show her. Laura measured out the cups of sour dough, put in the soda and salt and flour and rolled out the biscuits on the board. "But how do you make the sour dough?" Mrs. Boast asked. "You start it," said Ma, "by putting some flour and warm water in a jar and letting it stand till it sours." "Then when you use it, always leave a little," said Laura. "And pour in the scraps of biscuit dough, like this, and more warm water. Laura put in the warm water and covered it. She put the clean cloth and the plate on the jar and just set it in a warm place. She set it in its place on the shelf by the stove and it's always ready to use, whenever you want it."
After we read that Mary's eye's lit up and said, "That's what we do!" It was so cool to read a real life story that happened back in the 1800's and see them do what we do.
After we read that Mary's eye's lit up and said, "That's what we do!" It was so cool to read a real life story that happened back in the 1800's and see them do what we do.
He is loved just a little bit. Ha!
Mary is having so much fun getting Valentines in the mail. Her Aunt Linda sent her this one.
She is having a lot of fun making Valentines this year. She is such a little love bug.
4 comments:
Great Post...I was a big reader as a child...and read a lot to my daughter...never this book series though, but read over and over...Anne of Green Gables...very similar books.
I have to tell you what you post did for me...I was drooling over your delicious looking pancakes...and my husband was looking over my shoulder watching me...He said to me, "I guess now you're hungry for pancakes?" I said, "You bet! but it 's too late at night to make them"
He made me pancakes! What a guy!
I think he's a keeper.
Glad Mary is enjoying getting ready for Valentine's day. I'm sure everyone will love her cards.
I love the heart food. I love Mary's valentines. She has such great handwriting. Our kids have to start working on their valentines soon.
JD/Jill's DH here. Love this post. Made JD her pancakes and me too. Paid for it with indigestion, but knew that would happen. DW was happy so I was happy. Beautiful family.
Indeed Mary is a beautiful sweet "love bug", and that Max is loved a lot. The heart pancakes look so delicious, I tried to make heart muffins today with jam in the middle, they tasted really good, but the heart shape kinda messed up. ~smile~
Thanks for sharing,
blessings
Sue
Post a Comment