Saturday, January 31, 2009

Happy Birthday Denise!


Today is my sister, Denise's birthday. Wasn't she a little cutie! She is the second child in our family. My sister, Linda, is 18 months older than her, then there was a 6 year gap and my brother, Ben, was born and then 14 months later I came along! She was always so sweet and kind when we were growing up. Because I was 7 years younger than her, in my little kid mind, I always thought she was grown up. Her dedication to the Lord was strong. I remember her going to sleep at night listening to a record that had the Book of John being read. She was part of a Bible Quiz team and she was studying the Bible so she would be ready for all the questions they would ask. She went away to Bible School when I was 11 and married right before I turned 13 and moved far away. So, I didn't see her a lot. Only on holidays and special occasions. When I was 30 I moved to Southern California where she lived and then I got to know her as an adult. Not only do we look a lot alike, but we have many interests in common. Now I am blessed to have her and her husband live just across town from me. They have done a wonderful job in remodeling an older home and making it their retirement home. She has planted a beautiful garden. To see it go here. Another great thing is that she started a blog this year! I have been encouraging her to do that for a while as I think she would be really good at it. She has a lovely blog and if you would like to visit her and wish her a happy birthday, you can go here. I hope you have a wonderful birthday sis!


6 comments:

Denise said...

Thank you, Elena! I am so honored by your tribute. I had forgotten about listening to the book of John. Mom and Dad had a set of the whole Bible on 45's. Sometimes I went to sleep listening to it, since I had heard that was a good way to memorize something. Not sure that it worked, but the book of John is still by far my favorite book of the Bible. Also, thank you for the beautiful hyacinth and card you brought by! I am having a wonderful birthday! Hugs and kisses! Denise

BECKY said...

Oh...she is such a cutie pie!! I have one sister who is 17 months older than me. She lives 6 hours away, but we see each other about 4times a year, and are very close. Nothing like a sister/friend!!
Thanks for the introduction! I'll go say happy birthday!!
Blessings, Elena,
Becky

Denise said...

Thanks so much, Elena! I feel so honored that you said all those nice things about me. You must have forgotten the mean things I did--Praise God! :) Anyway, thanks for reminding me about the Bible recordings. Mom and Dad had the whole Bible on 45's. Sometimes I would listen to the book of John until I fell asleep. I had heard that it would help you memorize stuff if you heard it in your sleep. Don't know if it worked, but I still love the book of John! And thanks for the beautiful gifts--I had an absolutely wonderful birthday!

FeeBeeKay said...

Hi Elena, I think it is so wonderful that you and your sister's paths have once again come to meet where you can live close by. What a wonderful blessing to you both - sisters and friends!

Blessings to you all for the coming week,

FeeBeeKay

Cottage Contessa said...

A very happy birthday to your lovely sister, Denise! Wishing you a wonderful Elena!
Amanda (aka Cottage Contessa)

Linda C said...

What a great tribute to your sister, Elena! And it's so wonderful that you now live so close.

My only sister is 15 yrs. younger that I and we are best friends:) We live almost 6 hrs. away, but keep in close communication.

I will pop on over to Denise's blog and wish her a belated happy birthday:)

Have a great week!
Blessings,
Linda C