Friday, January 13, 2012

Saying Goodbye to our Christmas Tree

We had so much fun selecting our fresh Christmas tree this year.  Rich called up a U-Cut Christmas tree farm and asked them what was the most fragrant tree.  We had a fake tree for the last couple of years and this year we wanted that wonderful fresh evergreen smell to fill our home and remind us of Christmas when we were children.  We also wanted to make memories for Mary as she grew older.  The guy told Rich that the Grand Fir was the most fragrant.  We looked it up on the internet and got all the details on it.  So, we went and cut our own tree the Saturday after Thanksgiving.  We were so hoping it would last until Christmas.  We keep our house pretty warm and the air is quite dry here right now.  The other 2 times that I had bought a fresh Christmas tree from a lot, it was a crispy critter the day after Christmas and it left a huge pile of needles all the way to the door when we took it out.  Well, much to our surprise and joy our tree lasted 2 days short of 7 weeks!  We put it up in the living room in water the day we cut it.  We did a 7-up and a tiny bit of bleach mixture with water.  It was so fragrant and I added to it by putting cinnamon pine cones on it.  Mary loved it so much she made up a little song about our tree.  I posted the video of her singing.  The last picture was taken yesterday when Rich cut off the branches and put it in the green recycle bin.  I had taken all the decorations off of it the day after New Years but we just let it stand in our living room.  It was just so pretty.  It still was so fresh when we took it out.  There was only a small handful of needles on the floor.  I think we will cut a Grand Fir every year for our tree.  The other nice thing is that it looked so natural, like we had gone out in the woods and got it.  It wasn't all pruned up and artificial looking.  We were just so blessed to enjoy a small part of God's creation and think how wonderful He has made our world!
  







                  Saying good-bye to our beautiful tree.









3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It was a very pretty tree. I like the autumn leaf hanging from it in one of your pictures. We have been using an artificial tree since 2005. I missed the evergreen smell, so I did the next best thing. I purchased candles with the evergreen scent.

Miller Racing Family said...

I can't believe how long your tree lasted. I am like you not knowing if they would last till Christmas. The last photo is cute. Have a good weekend.

JD/ Jill said...

Beautiful tree, and Beautiful pictures...I love how you are creating so many beautiful memories for Mary...