Friday, June 8, 2012

Homemade Play Dough

Mary and I had another creative moment today.  I had been thinking of making her some play dough for a while now.  She has some store bought play dough but it was in bad shape and just didn't work very well even when it was new.  I went to a friends house and saw her homemade play dough and it was wonderful.  Mary had so much fun playing with it that I decided it was time for me to make some.  Today we made red and she loved it!  I couldn't believe how easy it was.  We will make another color tomorrow.  I have included the recipe at the bottom.  We did the one with baking soda and it worked great.  I would of used Cream of Tartar because my friend said that is what she used but I didn't have any.  So we did the substitute.
 


Ingredients for this classic play dough recipe: •plain white flour – 1 cup •salt – 0.5 cups •cream of tartar – 2 tsp (you can substitute 2 tbsp of baking soda) •water – 1 cup •cooking oil – 1 tsp (if you use baking soda, add 1 tbsp of oil instead of 1 tsp) •food coloring


Directions for this classic play dough recipe: •Mix all the ingredients together with a fork in a mixing bowl until the mixture is smooth and one solid color •Pour the mixture into a pan and bring to a boil over medium heat. •Stir until smooth and then until play dough bunches up to form a ball •Take it out of the pan and allow the play dough to cool •Knead for a few minutes and store in an airtight container

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mary makes playing with play dough lots of fun!

JD/ Jill said...

Looks like fun! It brings back memories again of playing with play dough with my daughter and my grand children...(Grandmom liked playing with it too...smile...

Sue said...

Hi Elena, I am out trying to catch-up on my visiting in blogland today and wanted to come by and see what you all have been up to! That play dough looks like the real deal, and what a great job you both did. I also didn't know that making fortune cookies was so easy, I love to eat them, thanks for sharing.
Just a comment on Mary and Max playing in the pool, absolutely "precious", that Max has given Mary so much fun time. I can tell how well they have bonded, and they both look happier than a pig in the mud. lol Enjoy these wonderful days of memory making.
Hugs,
Sue

Miller Racing Family said...

Great idea. I love the bright colors.