Tuesday, April 22, 2014

Ladybug, fly away home, fly away home!

I went to the garden center the other day to buy our vegetable garden plants and low and behold on the way back in they had bags of lady bugs that you could buy.  It was only 6 bucks, so I thought, "Hey, why not?"  Rich and I had talked about raising some baby Praying Mantis and I had bought a kit a couple of years ago but we never got the egg sack.  So this would be easier and we could use the same bug cage.  It was a hit with Mary.  We kept them inside for one day with twigs and a little bit of honey water.  I think there was about 500 of them in the bag.  Mary just watched them for hours.  Then the next day it was a beautiful morning so we sat them down by our garden and released them.  I had so much fun taking their pictures.  Ladybugs are just so cute!!  I found a new zoom setting on my camera that I had not used before, so I had even more fun capturing the little things escaping into the garden.  Mary spent most of the day watching them.  This was her home school science project.  Next year we may try some Praying Mantis.










3 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

Great teaching lesson and bug control at the same time.

JD/ Jill said...

What a great teaching project! All these wonderful memories you are giving Mary!
This brought back memories for me too. I remember when I was in about the 3rd or 4th grade of school, our teacher tried doing something similar with praying mantis...She closed up the classroom on a Friday, and when we came back to school on Monday morning...our classroom was full of praying mantis all over the room. It was such a long time ago I don't remember what happened after that...I just remember how upset my teacher was seeing all the little praying mantis all over the room. I'm sure she never tried that again...smile

Miller Racing Family said...

What a fun idea. The zoom setting is fabulous! I loved the daisy ladybug photos! Great job!