Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Our Daily Bread

As you probably know we make sourdough with a starter that we started over a year ago.  I'm making this post so that Mary can look back and see what we made and ate during her growing up years.  Recently we went to a local gris mill and purchased some wonderful stone ground flour.  So I have been trying some bread loaf recipes.  Until now I have just been making cinnamon rolls and buns.  Now I am making a cinnamon roll loaf that we use for toast and French toast.  Here is a cinnamon roll with honey.
 
Here is my first cinnamon rolls loaf.  I used butter, brown sugar and cinnamon.  It was really good but a little heavy.

 
Here is a plain loaf.  I really like the flour pattern on the top.
 
 
Here is some French toast I made using the cinnamon roll bread I made the day before.


We can get the most delicious fruit spread at Costco that I love to have instead of syrup.  This one is cherry, raspberry and rhubard.  It has half the sugar and no corn sweetners.  It is mostly the fruit.


This is the next loaf of cinnamon roll bread I made and I didn't use the butter with the brown sugar and cinnamon.  It came out not as heavy and still very delicious!  I think I will keep on with this recipe.
 
Here it is with a Marion Blackberry fruit spread from Costco.
 
 
We love our bread and because it is made with a starter it breaks down the gluten and is full of wonderful bacteria that aids your digestion.  It is the way bread has been made for eons before commercial bakeries began using hybrid yeasts to speed up the rise time but it doesn't break down the gluten and that is what causes a lot of people to have trouble with it and then need to go gluten free.

2 comments:

Irish Cherokee said...

Now you went and made me hungry. Problem is we are now gluten free. It all looks so good too.

Sue said...

This was so yummy looking, and here i am visiting you hungry as a bear ~smile~, I came in from the garden and haven't had lunch yet.
I agree about how bread was made years ago and it was so much more healthier for us, I love the fact that you are doing these posts for Mary, she will treasure them for always! Always so encouraging and enjoyable when I visit. You, and Rich, are such an inspiration to me, and Mary is such a joy, and let's not forget Max! Grin~
Thank you for allowing me to enjoy life's journey along with you all!
Blessings,
Sue