Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Zucchini Banana Bread

 As you can see our zucchini squash vine is giving us lots of beautiful fruit.  I went out last night and there were these huge ones hanging on the vine.  So I found this recipe on line and added a few things to make it mine.  I baked it this morning while Rich and Mary were still snoozing.  It was raining really hard outside this morning so it was dark and that wonderful cinnamon spice and bread baking in the oven made it so warm and cozy.  We had the muffins for breakfast with big glasses of cold milk. The bread freezes well so if you make a big batch you can save it in the freezer for later.  I think we will get this eaten before I get a chance to freeze it but I plan on grating up those puppies in the background and freeze some for use in bread this winter. 

Banana Zucchini Bread

Ingredients
4 eggs
1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1 cup vegetable oil
2 medium ripe bananas, mashed (about 1 cup)
1/4 sourdough starter
3 cups all-purpose flour
1/4 cup ground flax seed
1- 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 -1/2 teaspoons baking soda
1-1/2 ground cinnamon
1 teaspoon salt
1-1/2 cups shredded unpeeled zucchini
1 cup mixed dried fruit or pecans

Directions
In a bowl, beat eggs.  Blend in sugar and oil.  Add bananas and mix well.  Combine the flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon and salt; stir into egg mixture.  Stir in zucchini and pecans just until combined.

Pour into two greased 9-in.x5-in. loaf pans.  Bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean.  Cool for 10 minutes.  Remove from pans to wire racks to cool completely.  Yield: 2 loaves


1 comment:

JD/ Jill said...

Your Zucchini bread is making me hungry. It looks good and sounds so Yummy, and it brings back great memories. My Mother, mother-in-law Aunt, and Grandmother all made delicious Zuchhini bread. Come to think of it, My Mom, Aunt, and GrandMom probably all used the same recipe...smile.