My treasure to share this week comes from Christmas past. It is a stocking that is about 50 years old. It originally belonged to my older sister and then with me being the youngest, I had the privilege of hand-me-downs:) I love this stocking and I have kept it all these years and I will save it for my baby girl! My dad, using a ink pen, wrote my name on it. My parents always filled it each year with small gifts and candy. We did not have a fire place, so my brother and I hung our stockings on the knobs of the T.V. (way back then, when T.V.'s had knobs). I have a few pictures of it, the front and back and the frayed top with my sweet father's handwriting of my name. I have many warm and loving memories of Christmas as a child. My parents and the knowledge of the Lord and His wonderful gift to us always brought me so much joy during this blessed time of year.


My older sisters in the mid'50s. You can see the top of my stocking above my sister's head on the left.

This picture does not show our stockings, but it is a sweet memory. I am on the far right clutching my two dolls. I think I am about 2 years old there.

16 comments:
Oh My!!! That is definately a keepsake and a treasure--and that is so neat you have a picture of it in Christmas's past! Loved the pictures, what a cutie patootie you were as a child:)
Julieann
How sweet the picture of you and your sibs. And wonderful that you still have your stocking!
I love the stocking:)
Great pictures and memories behind them! These things that we cherish from year to year bring back memories that will last our whole lives.
Lovely post- thanks for sharing these special times from your childhood.
Linda C
What a treasure from your childhod! I enjoyed seeing your sweet pictures!
Manuela
neat pictures! What adorable kids you had in your family. Love the Raggedy Ann!
Hi Sis! I am fairly certain Mom sewed the stocking together from fabric with the stocking printed on it. The picture of Linda & me is Christmas 1957. Mom also made the Raggedy Ann and Andy dolls and the wardrobe of clothes for our Sweet Sue dolls that year. I believe the picture of all four of us is Christmas 1962. Even in our very poorest years Mom & Dad made Christmas and birthdays delightfully special! Love, Denise
A wonderful treasure. I so love things from the past.
I love the stocking! That's so wonderful it's been saved like it has and will be passed on to Mary. That's a treasure!
So do you have 2 sisters and a brother???? That is a sweet picture of the 4 of you.
Enda
That is such a cute picture. She is so funny. I don't think Santa looks like Dan. Do you??? Has she ever started calling Melvena grandma??? Enda
that is soooo cute!!! hi, Grandpa!!! love it!!! hee hee hee....
I loved your stocking blog, too. so cool that you still have a stocking from when you were little. that's precious.
love,
Selina
Love the story and so glad you have your stocking. The pic is so precious.
A precious story!! I love looking at the old pics too! It is wonderful to have beautiful memories.
Sweet pictures! And I LOVE the old stocking. That is a wonderful treasure from the past.
What a lovely story, I need to make my dad write something down! Your stocking is so special! I had forgotten about the TV knobs! lol
Really sweet!!!
Kristine
Post a Comment