Sunday, December 21, 2008

The Inn

Friday night Rich and I went out for a lovely dinner. His boss gave it to us for a Christmas present. We went to a small town not far from us, that is an old gold mining town and a national historic landmark. Gold was discovered there in 1850 and the town sprang up into this boom town in about a year. It was the major town in the area until the railroad came through in 1884 and bypassed it, because the elevation was too high. So, it slowly declined but it was a blessing in disguise, as all of the old buildings were not torn down for new ones. It was a sleepy little village for years and then in the 1960's they began to repair and renovate the old buildings and they turned it into a tourist attraction. It is the prettiest little town and they have so many fun events there. For Christmas they have a Victorian celebration that lasts all month, with people dressed up in the old attire caroling and handing out roasted chestnuts and hot apple cider. All the buildings are decorated with real evergreen garlands with red bows and at night all the buildings have white lights on them. Such a fun place to go to bring back the old fashioned Christmas feeling. The Inn that we went to is Rich's favorite place to have dinner. It is so rich in atmosphere and the food and service is superb. We arrived early before our reservations and we walked around town and I took some pictures of the houses. Then we went into the lounge and had some hot chocolate to warm up. It was really cold out there! We then met up with Rich's boss and his wife and Rich's coworker and his girlfriend. We had appetizers (calamari and sauteed mushrooms) before our meal, Wild Pacific Salmon for dinner and then chocolate cheese cake for dessert (we just can't get enough of that)! We were stuffed by the end of it but we had a great time. We are very thankful for Rich's boss. They are very generous people and really like Rich. Here are some pictures of the town and the Inn.
Victorian home near the main street.
A house right were we parked our car.

Lights on the main street.



Our table inside the Inn.








7 comments:

Kathi said...

Oh what lovely decorations and what a nice time you must have had. I'd love to visit that cute town some time. Thanks for visiting me. I have been so blue, but God has brought the sunshine back and I'm more myself. I have so much to thank Him for. Have a merry Christmas. Hugs, Kathi

Tirz said...

Sounds & looks like a very romantic & charming evening.

Anonymous said...

What a lovely gift. We have an old town where they do the same. It was actually the original county seat except the seal was stolen back before statehood and brought to OkC. At least it isn't far from here. Ed, Harlean and Jim and I always intended to go there on a week-end and enjoy the caroling and strollers, but never got around to doing it. Now I don't think that Ed nor Harlean could stand the walking. It's a shame that we keep putting on these things.
Love, Enda

Brittany said...

Looks like you had a wonderful time! From the pictures, it seems so romantic in there! Thanks for visiting me! I'm sure your daughter will love the Charlie Brown Christmas as much as we do!

Anonymous said...

What a nice evening! Ben

Linda C said...

What a lovely place to have dinner! It is just beautiful:)

Thanks for your prayers for my kids' travel. One son is about 15 minutes away right now. On the radio they are saying how terrible the roads are. I'll be in constant prayer today and tomorrow:)

Linda C

Jackie said...

What an amazing and romantic place! And I especially like the shot of the downtown lights...beautiful. I pray you had an awesome and blessed Christmas, and Happy New Year to you and your lovely family!