Monday, December 8, 2008

Tears

An old Jewish proverb says, "As soap is for the body, so tears are for the soul". I read that proverb when I was a teenager and I have never forgotten it. I thought of it yesterday as I stood in our church during the closing song of the service and tears were coming down my cheeks. They were not tears of sadness but of deep emotion. Whenever the Lord touches my soul and I feel him speaking to me, I always cry. The message that day was about the gifts of the Holy Spirit and how we as individuals operate in them. The main text was 1 Corinthians chaper 12. As the pastor spoke I began to think of the past and all the different times I felt the Lord use me in the gifts and also my mom. I thought of the times I was rejected because of what I thought the Lord was telling me to say or how I was used of the Lord to bless some one, giving them instruction or encouragement. For a little bit my mind got lost in all the details. Then the pastor had people bring up wrapped packages with the different gifts printed on the front, they turned the package around and set it down. It had part of a picture on it. After all the people had come up and put their packages down it formed a picture of Jesus! It was showing that through all the different gifts God was showing us Jesus and brings unity. The song we sang, was saying, it was all about the Lord. This may be a simple truth, but such a powerful reminder to me. My life is all about Jesus and how I am to love Him and be a representation of Him, to do as He would do. Tears streamed down my face in light of that beautiful truth. At first I tried to hide my tears, thinking that people might think I was sad, but I was not. The Lord told me not to worry about it but just let them flow and it was so cleansing to my soul and has made me feel so close and happy in the presence of the Lord!

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

beautiful post...

the voice of melody said...

That's a beautiful story. I also often get teary-eyed in church. Every week, when people answer the altar call and pray to receive Jesus and follow Him forever, I shed tears of joy! I can't help it, it just moves me so much and I'm so happy for those people. :)

Anonymous said...

have cried many tears of joy this season too! It’s awesome to see how the Lord is working in all of our lives! And the best is yet to come!



Let your joy be full!



Merry Christmas!!!

Kristine

Anonymous said...

Amen. Wendy

Anonymous said...

awesome. :) The Lord always makes me cry, too. So it's funny you should say that... He's been showing me that He moves me to tears... God is awesome.

love you,

Selina

Anonymous said...

YOu are such a beautiful person inside and out. I am so blessed that I am part of your extended family. I love reading your stories and hope you don't ever stop writing them.
Enda

Anonymous said...

You and I are a lot alike in the tears department, Elena. I don't know how many times I have been moved to tears over the beauty of a passage in the Bible, a sermon, a worship song, or something God has been communicating directly to my heart. I, too, am learning not to worry too much about what other people think, but just let it flow. It is very cleansing. Some of my most precious memories of Mom are when she was moved to tears over the goodness of God. I knew that I wanted a passion like that. Much love, Denise