Friday, February 6, 2009

Almost a 100 years ago...

In the summer of 1910 my grandmother wrote this letter to her best friend, Libby. She is telling her about how the guy she has loved for years has come to his senses and loves her back and they are going to get married. Libby was my grandma's friend all of her life and saved this letter and passed it on to my grandmother's oldest daughter, my aunt, and then Aunt Ailene gave it to me! I treasure this letter from my grandmother that I never met, as she died before I was born. She was a godly woman and I want to be like her. You can go to another post I made a while back to read one of the stories of her life here. I have included a picture of her letter and I also typed it out so it would be easy to read.


My dear Libby,
Will start a letter to you today but do not suppose I can finish it. I know you are very busy if your folks are still gone.
Well, dearie I started this letter Sunday but felt tired and nervous so gave up writing then. So it is now Tuesday. I would have finished it yesterday, but I was sick. I always like to have plenty of time and feeling good when I write a letter. Especially to you. I am afraid of giving the blues.
We are very busy sewing. I am going to start to Ohio one week from tomorrow. I hardly know whether I want to go or not. Madge did think about going too, but I had a letter from her yesterday saying that she could not go. Some ways I would like to have her go and some not. In fact, I am rather glad she is not. I wish it was possible for Mamma or Edna to go, but they cannot. I am afraid I will get home sick in a week or two. For I am not acquainted with many of my relatives back there. I suppose it won't take long to get acquainted though. I have so much to tell you, dear, I feel like I could never put it all on paper. To make a long story short, it is, Bert loves me! I am the very apple of his eye. Don't laugh at me dearie. I am in dead earnest. Maybe he has told you. I hope not for I want to be the first one to tell you. But, I must tell you all that led up to the present.
The night of the closing concert at the Gem, Vena came home and was there. Bert took me and that night, in the road home, he was awfully blue for it was the first time he had seen Vena since she was married. Of course, he was fighting a great battle. This was Saturday eve. He said he would not be over the next evening. But would come the Sunday a week. I said, "No, Bert this will not do. If you do not come tomorrow eve, you can not come any more." But he did not come the next night.
Sunday afternoon, Mr. & Mrs. Richardson and Hazel and Lester were all here. Hazel and Lester boarded at Jim Winters. Hazel was with a young man, Frank Sims, from near Phillips, who has an auto. He was here too. Lester and myself and Hazel and her beau all go to church in the auto. Lester was a fine looking fellow. About six feet in height, broad shouldered, dark hair and brown eyes. Papa said he was the finest base singer he ever heard and I know I never heard better than he. Of course everybody thought that I had a case on him and had ditched Bert for him but that was a mistake. Bert got scared up a little then and kept phoning and writing me every day or so. I wrote back to him and I tell you I made him believe his cake was dough. I kept going with Lester here and there every night or so and didn't pay one bit of attention to anything Bert said. He wanted to come and see me so bad but I wouldn't let him. He wanted to come to so bad he said, "Clara I want to see you so bad but I feel like starting to run and never stopping until I get where you are." But I never answered that letter at all. Then he wanted to take me to Aurora on the 4th but I would not let him. I was rather enjoying turning the tables on him. Do you blame me? I went to Aurora with the folks and in the afternoon I was with Willie Groelz and he brought me home. Maybe you think Bert wasn't worked up. When he heard it he said he felt like he had been stabbed. He was shocking wheat when he heard it. He worked on for a while but hardly knew what he was doing. Finally went to the house. Could not eat or sleep for two days.
The last night before we made up he sat up until nearly midnight writing me. Said he could hardly keep from coming over here in the middle of the night. I believe him too. For he was nearly crazy. He thought he never could go crazy over anybody but Vena. I think I have showed him that he was mistaken. Don't you? I thought I had carried things far enough. So, I sent him a note telling him that he could come over and have a talk with me any night that suited him, that I would be home. He got my letter about 5 o'clock last Friday eve. I tell you he was over her by 8 o'clock. Faster than he used to come. Wasn't it?
I got in the buggy with him and we went riding. I tell you, I got a real loving if I ever did. He said Vena was nothing to him now. There isn't any for her now. I tell you that sounded good to me. We didn't get in until one o'clock. Could hardly tear ourselves away.
We are going to be married about Thanksgiving time or a little later if nothing happens to prevent it. The folks are fighting it. Say, they have no confidence in him. That his love may last two weeks or maybe less. But we can prove to them that, that is not so.
We are not going together publicly until after I get back. Because it would look rather funny after the way I have been cutting capers.
You always said, "go with some one." But I never had a good chance before. I knew it was what Bert needed. I did not write and tell you before, for I did not know how it was all coming out.
I wrote a long letter to Bert, Sunday. So, was too tired when I got through to write to you. I had a spicy little note from Bert today. Mamma wanted to know if he had changed his mind yet? I informed her that he hadn't.
We are not going to have any wedding because his mother would not be able to come and would feel so bad. I don't want it any way. We are going on a trip but don't know where just yet. Bert is coming tomorrow night and we will finish making our plans then.
Do you blame me for hating to go to Ohio just at present? Bert can't hardly bear to think of me going, but we had written and told the folks that I was coming and I had my clothes nearly all ready so he says for me to go. Also says I must write him a letter every day. But I don't know about that. I think about every other day will be enough.
I haven't told the folks yet that we are going to be married this fall. They will have a fit. I ought to stay home and learn to cook. Don't you think so? I fear we will have to live on love for a while, if I don't. Bert, poor boy, is just skin and bones. Just looks awful. But, I love him anyway. Wouldn't you? I say I want him to weigh 175 lbs before we are one or I fear I will be "boss". I will any way. No our Heavenly Father will be our boss. We have Him to thank for all this. How much we owe to Him. Oh, Libby won't we have a happy home? I want you and Theo and Frank to come and see us. Won't we have a good talk. I can hardly wait. I get to thinking so much I can hardly sleep.
I had applied for our home school and Luther was going to teach the winter term. I withdrew my application the week before Bert and I made up. I knew very well what was coming.
Well dear, I must draw the line some place. I feel like I never could stop. I am so happy I feel like I could almost fly sometimes. I know you will rejoice with me too. We must win the folks over yet and that worries me a little. Bert is going to ask for me soon. I hope the folks will not object too much.
Emma Winter is here and wants to take her music lesson. They have a new piano. It is a fine one too. Must close. Write to me if you have a few minutes to spare.
Much love,
From Clara



Grandma did not go to Ohio that year. She married Grandpa on Monday, October 10, 1910 and and they went to the World's Fair in Chicago for their honeymoon. They were married for 38 years and had 9 children. Grandma died at the age of 60 due to complications of diabetes. All her children grew up in the knowledge of the Lord and served Him all their lives. Here are a few pictures of her bride's book. So sweet and romantic.




































For more treasures and the stories behind them go to Kelli's blog.













































































































13 comments:

Anonymous said...

ohmygosh, that is so cute, Elena! thanks for sharing! ;)

love ya,

selina

Heidi Pocketbook said...

Oh, how sweet! I love the expressions she used in the letter. What a wonderful heritage she left. I'm so glad you chose to share it for S & T!

Now I'm off to read the other post about your grandma!

FeeBeeKay said...

What an amazing story Elena! What an incredible lady too! It is always so lovely to read old letters, it is almost like listening to the person speaking to you. Hope you all have a wonderful weekend!

Blessings to you all, FeeBeeKay

Linda C said...

Oh my goodness, Elena--I love this!

First, your grandmother's handwriting (especially the L)looks like Lon's grandmother who I used to correspond with when she was alive-- a lovely Christian woman also.

I loved her expressions and calling her friend "my dear".

And, oh- I had never heard the (threatening) phrase: "I'm going make him believe his cake is dough." !! Have you heard that before? That is so interesting.

She was one smart cookie:)

Loved, loved, loved this post, Elena! What a treasure!!

Have a great weekend:)
Blessings,
Linda C

Anonymous said...

What a lovely, lovely story. Thank you for sharing.

~CC Catherine said...

Elena, I hung on every word from this precious letter from your Grandmother. I participated in Show & Tell today too, mine is on a book 100+ years and it's on Mothers, Home & Heaven...you should check it out. Has the same type of sentimental attachments to it! ;) I really like your blog! ~CC Catherine of "Catherine de th`e Cups"

Lindy said...

I absolutely loved reading that!

I also liked the way she wrote. Such a different time it was!

I love family history. Your so lucky to have this. Too bad more people didn't think about saving things like this!

Alpine Sanctum said...

I would give so much for a letter like that from my own relatives! What an amazing link to the past.

Karen Sherrill said...

What a lovely letter! Such a treasure...thank you for sharing it with us ;o).

Karen

Anonymous said...

Hi, Elena!

Did you type up Libby's letter or was it something you'd done at some earlier point? The reason I ask is I think I've got it typed up and saved on my computer. I wish I could have saved you some extra work! Oh well. I still love re-reading it and getting a feeling for young people in a rural village almost a hundred years ago. I wonder if any of my distant descendants, assuming I have any :-), will ever know about me. I was curious to see grandma's bride book. I don't believe I've ever seen that before. Maybe sometime you could send some more scanned pages my way, in all the abundant free time Mary gives you! :-) All this makes me think again of how I'd like to write up a family history, but maybe that will have to wait for retirement.
Talk to you later, Ben

Anonymous said...

What a treasure! What a great story!! It will be awesome to meet all the Christians from the past when we get to Heaven. What a time we will have!!!

Kristine

Tirz said...

Elena! What a wonderful letter! What a wonderful keepsake! I love how you have so many special keepsakes and that you share them with your readers like you do. I loved this blog!! So sweet and so special!

Kelli said...

What a wonderful and sweet show and tell, Elena!
~Kelli
P.s Thank you for the birthday wishes!