Tuesday, June 7, 2011

Salsa

Rich also made his Five Chili Salsa this last weekend.  He set up his table in his shop and chopped up all the chilies, tomatoes and onions out there.  The chilies put off a really strong smell, so he didn't want to make the whole house smell like that!  Mary loved watching the salsa cooking on the stove.  I just love seeing the salsa in the jars after it is canned.  It has such pretty color.  I don't eat the salsa as it is too hot for me but Rich loves it and he loves to give it to friends and family who enjoy the heat!  I have included his recipe at the end for you to try it if you want.





Five Chili Salsa
Makes 20 quarts


2 lbs each of Serrano, Jalapeno, Santa Fe Grande (yellow), Passilla and Anahiem chilis
8 large white onions
1 bunch of celantro
1 bunch Italian parsely
8 cloves of garlic
2 cups white vinegar
1/2 cup salt
1/2 cup sugar
5 - 6 lb cans of whole peeled tomatoes (only use liquid from 2 of the cans)


Use food processor to dice all ingredients to your preferred size except the tomatoes. Dice the tomatoes by hand and make large pieces approx. 1/2 inch. Heat on medium to 170 to 180 degrees and cook for 30 minutes. Stir every 10 minutes. You can use left over liquid in tomato cans to fill pot to the top if needed. Can in quart jars.  Enjoy!


4 comments:

Sue said...

I am going to copy this recipe, Elena, thanks for sharing Rich's special recipe. I loved the photo of Father and daughter holding hands watching the pot. Thanks for sharing.
Sue

Anonymous said...

I'll forward this recipe to my husband's brother. He likes hot, spicy foods!

Becky K. said...

That would be too hot for me too...but I do love medium heat salsa. Warren used to make it until a friend took over doing it and sharing it with us in exchange for computer repairs. Works for us!!

Miller Racing Family said...

This looks wonderful. I love homemade salsa as each jar has a different taste. Love the food processor, we have the same one.
Blessings!