Friday, May 23, 2008

Foody Friday Indian Summer Salad

I was going to share a potato salad for this week, as the theme is pic-nic, but the host of Foody Friday, Jenny, at A Latte Talk has already entered one. So, I will do another recipe. The only thing unique about my potato salad is that after you cook the potatoes instead of cubing them you smash them with a potato masher until they are chunky/lumpy (not completely mashed) then you add your ingredients and the flavors blend really well with the potato. Hence the name "Smashed Potato Salad". This recipe came from my husband's family. His aunt perfected the recipe and it is my husband's favorite. Now on to the recipe I am going to share:




Indian Summer Salad

1/4 cup red wine vinegar
1 tablespoon olive or salad oil
1/2 teaspoon coarse-ground pepper
1/2 teaspoon dried basil
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
3 cups cooked fresh or thawed frozen corn kernels
2 firm-ripe tomatoes (1/2 lb. total), rinsed, cored and chopped
1 cup chopped sweet onion rinsed and drained
1 green bell pepper (1/2 lb) stemmed, seeded and chopped
1/4 cup chopped parsley or fresh cilantro
salt
1/4 pound (about 6 cups) baby spinach leaves, rinsed and crisped

In a large bowl, mix vinegar, oil, pepper, basil and garlic. Add corn, tomatoes, onion, bell pepper, and parsley. Mix well. If desired cover and chill up to 4 hours. Add salt to taste. Line a wide bowl with spinach. Pour corn salad into bowl; mix.

1 comment:

Yvette said...

Elena! Do you go to Table Rock church in Medford? My in-laws live in Eagle Point and they attend that church or at least have attended it. My husband has other family in Eagle Point too.

I was just reading your recipe and noticed your links on the side. I know Jenny (from A Latte Talk) and live near her.

Anyway the salad sounds superb!