I have an Amish heritage. My father was raised Amish until he was 15 when he left the church and then 2 years later was lead by some friends to make a commitment to Christ and said the sinners prayer. He has loved and served the Lord ever since but he never did go back to the Amish church. All his brothers and sisters left the Amish church except one sister. So, I have many cousins that are still Amish. My dad's father died when my dad was 13 and his mother remarried and lived in the Amish faith all her life. My dad has told us many stories of growing up in the "Plain and Simple Life." It was very interesting to me and I am proud to have a heritage like that. The other day I was at the Thrift Store with my dear mother-in-law and I was so pleased to find a little Amish doll for Mary. The Amish do not believe in having their picture taken. They believe it is making an image or idol. So, their dolls have no faces either. I just loved her little black bonnet and blue and black clothes. The first picture is the doll sitting by a beautiful bouquet of roses that my husband gave me!
Here is Mary with here new doll!
She was most interested in the bonnet and wanted it for herself!
Here is the only picture I have of my grandmother. She was at an English (that is what they call all non-Amish things) wedding and the photographer snapped a shot of them. The man she is sitting next to is her second husband, after my grandpa died.




22 comments:
Wow Elena! I love all your family heirlooms that you've saved and now share with us through your blog! What a treasure you have to one day pass on to Mary! So special! I loved hearing this little tidbit about your past. Love & blessings to you friend xoxo
Hello Elena...
What an interesting post, my friend! What a blessing to have such a heritage...I truly admire the Amish for their faith and plain and simple life!!! I think we could learn alot from that!!! I enjoyed the photo of your grandmother! And your little Mary with her new Amish doll is just precious!!!
Warmest wishes,
Chari
Excellent. I would have loved to find one of those also. They're just so simple in style, yet so wonderful to have something of this culture. I too know a lot of Amish from PA.
My Show and Tell is Posted. Come on over to visit if you can find time today. Happy Friday.
Your daughter looks so cute..;)
What a wonderful treasure...Julie
Oh Elena
What a sweet story. I love to hear about family histories.
I'm headed to Lancaster Co, PA on Monday the heart of Amish Country.
Where is your husband from?
Thank you for sharing some of your heritage. Amish dolls were very popular during the '80s in the world of crafting. I made several & also bought many items at arts & crafts shows. I like to use all my Amish things when I decorate the house for Thanksgiving.
Blessings for a wonderful weekend!
Carol
wow... you have interesting background...
I have that exact same doll! And I bought mine at a thrift store too! The Amish life is very fascinating.
Blessings
Linda
Another beautiful story. I spoke with Mel the morning that the three of you were going shopping. I love going to the thrift store. I believe that I have Amish and Quakers in my ancestors. Some day I hope to have the time to do some research. I bought some sheet music today at the sorting site today for you. Some for you and some for Mary. Will get it in the mail soon.
Love,
Enda
Morning friend..loved reading this post and that little Mary is precious with her doll...love the pic of her wearing the bonnet! lol What a beautiful treasure to have that pic of your grandma but even more beautiful to have all the family love and history she passed along....have a great weekend!
Thank you for sharing. I have many friends that have come from an Amish background. What a treasure to have a picture of your Grandmother. And the doll is adorable! :-)
Hi Elena,
I am so thrilled to read this of your heritage, I am also thrilled that you are keeping it alive by writing about it and sharing this with us and Mary, she is so adorable,such a happy child.
Blessings, to you and your family,
Sue
Hi Elena...
Just wanted to stop by and say thank you for coming by to see my music boxes and thanks for your kind comments!!! Come back anytime for a visit...you're always welcomed, my friend!!!
Warmest wishes,
Chari
What a neat post - so interesting to learn of your heritage.
How interesting! There is an Amish community a couple of hours away from me, but I haven't been there since I was a teen. They have such a fascinating culture.
How cool it is that Mary now has a doll that ties to family history as well.
I never tire of hearing of your family history Elena, it is so deep and colourful - you are richly blessed in so many ways and it shines through in your wonderful spirit and heart. Thank you so much for the explanation of the baby-chat - it was SO much appreciated!! I knew there was something to it!! Mary's little doll is a real treasure, but then so is she!!! Love and prayers to you all for this coming weekend! Fiona x
love it!!! where my mom and dad live in ohio, there are alot of amish and we go visit all the time for various items and dinner, they have the greatest bread pudding at one of the restaurants there. i even have two amish cookbooks, in case you would like some recipes....
great pic of grandma and her husband.... they dont look happy.... and have the same expressions :)... kind of like kyles dad at our wedding, haha...
Wendy
Really neat!! Kristine
Thank you so much for sharing your family history with all of us...what a beautiful country we live in with so many different heritages...
Blessings,
Susie
I just love learning about the Amish lifestyle. Your pictures of Mary with her doll are so sweet!:)
My brother and SIL live in Indiana near in an Amish community. It just amazes me to see the horses and buggies parked outside stores in their small town. Just another world almost.
I have a close friend who left her Amish communnity,- I'm not sure of the details. But she and her husband are born again believers-have been for quite a while-until about 5 years ago, we went to the same church. And they just opened up a bakery in our little city! My, can she bake! This has been her dream for some time and now they have stepped out and done it.
I love hearing about your family history- so interesting! And I always love seeing little Mary:)
Have a nice weekend, dear friend.
Hugs,
Linda
this is a great post. I loved hearing about your family history. The photo is interesting - the way they both have their hands to their faces.
Elena, What a beautiful heritage you have. I love the photos. I love the one with the bonnett on her head; so cute. Kathi
Post a Comment