When I was young my mom often told me things about her mom, who had died before I was born. On one occasion my mom was telling me about grandma's view on friends. My grandmother was a very godly woman and had many acquaintances, neighbors and family members. She had one friend who her kids affectionately called Aunt Libby. Libby was older than my grandma and lived on the next farm over from her when they were growing up. They had a special bond as they were friends all their lives. All the important junctures in grandma's life was always shared with Libby. I have a letter that Grandma wrote to Aunt Libby telling of her engagement and wedding plans to grandpa and how grandpa's proposal happened and all the events that transpired during that time. Libby kept that letter and gave it to my aunt years later and now I have it. Having that letter just spoke to me how these ladies had a true bond of friendship. After they grew up they lived in different parts of the country but they always kept in contact and shared the special moments of their lives. Grandma told my mom that if you have a friend like that, you are truly a wealthy person. That impressed me so much as a young person and thought I would love to have that some day. In 1992 I met some wonderful gals at the church I attended in Southern California. Within a few months we knew that this was something special God had done. They became my lifeline during the years that I was single in my 30's and so lonely. God provided warmth and friendship in my life when things were cold and bleak for me. I know the same was for them. We shared in our joys and sorrows and that time that we had, we will never forget. Since then things have changed, our jobs, the age of our children, some of us getting married and some moving far away, like me. I was the tag along in the group in that I married last and I had kids last. But one thing remained, we always kept in contact, not always real regular but we have thought of each other often and remembered the times we had together during those years in the 90's. I feel like the person grandma spoke of by being wealthy because of these friends. Just this last week two of them came to see me. They drove all the way from Southern California to spend time with me and my family, no family along the way, just so we could be together again and catch up on news and they could see my daughter Mary. That is real love. I am very happy in my life now. God has blessed me with my wonderful husband and I love my little girl to pieces. I love Oregon and the church I attend. But I left a part of my heart in Southern California as I left my dear friends there. It is easy to get caught up in our lives and our things we are doing but I am so glad that we are all still friends and God has blessed that! Mary had so much fun spending time with them and affectionately calling them Aunt Selina and Aunt Kathey. Her little heart was sad as was mine when they left. Mary told me that some day she will have friends I like have. I hope she does, as she will truly be a wealthy woman.
Mary with her Aunt Selina and Aunt Kathey at the Harry & David Store.Here is a slide show of us gals in the 90's having a whole lot of fun.
Here is tje link to the slide show: http://www.onetruemedia.com/shared?p=7d803de40a90fde64c5bb8&skin_id=1602&utm_source=otm&utm_medium=text_url
6 comments:
A friend loveth at all times; And a brother (sister) is born for adversity.
Oh how wonderful for both you and Mary. My parents divorced when i was about 12 years old, and even though they each remarried and I had/have oodles of step-siblings, I was never raised with a sibling, very lonely time, but my friends sure made up for it. There is still such a bond after all these years, I have been so blessed. I really enjoyed your pictures...
How wonderful that the bonds of friendship survives after so many years. That is a wonderful picture of Mary and your friends. I enjoyed the slideshow too.
Elena,I so enjoyed reading the story of your grandmother's friendship. I always have measured my friendships this way... That if I don't see a friend for years, once I do we pick up just where we left off, just like it was yesterday. And you seem to have done this with your two friends. Loved the photo of Mary with them.
I also enjoyed the video of you and your friends. As I was looking I noticed that you were photographed holding their new born babies. And how later you were able to hold your ... miracle Mary . God is always so gracious and faithful.
Lots of hugs, today.
Sue
Hey girl! I've missed our bloggy visits :-)
What a wonderful post and photo tribute to your dear friends. It looks like you had lots of experience playing auntie before Mary was born!
Looking forward to getting caught up.
Hugs from Heidi
It is one of the most wonderful things in the world to have a true friend that no matter how much time passes or distance separates that the friendship can be picked back up right where it was left off like no time or distance has passed! I remember you sharing about your Grandmother's friend Libby before. It's such a neat story. You have such a good memory to remember what you have so vividly. Love & blessings to you!
Post a Comment